There’s been a public house on this site since the 1820s, and it was first known as the Ferry Boat in 1925. From the 1970s onwards, the pub used to put on live music, where many local bands with varying degrees of talent would play. Unfortunately, residents in the new developments nearby complained about the levels of noise, and that, combined with crippling financial difficulties, caused the pub to close in 2006. It has been empty ever since.
One of the later landlords of the pub is serving a life sentence for the murders of five prostitutes in Ipswich.